12 February 2009

on CoatCheck

There is something meditative about working in CoatCheck.

Some part of it is a routine:


"That'll be $2, please."

Hang up coat.

Hand customer a numbered tag.

Smile.

"No you can't have my phone number. Enjoy the show!"

Smile and dismiss with a wave...


The rest is unpredictable, a barely controlled chaos I often find equally soothing. It is a fascinating microcosm, my little CoatCheck world, and one full of contradictions. I am the observer and the observed, a part of but apart from the melee.

Sometimes it's mildly amusing, like a few weekends ago when I looked up from my book to see REM's Peter Buck repeatedly thwarted in his attempts to pee. Twice, I saw guys dart into the bathroom ahead of him.

"You'll have to be quicker than that!" I said with a chuckle.

"Yeah" he replied sighing. He slumped heavily into the stool next to my window.

"Aren't you playing tonight? Why don't you go downstairs (to the green room)?"
I asked.

"We go on in 5 minutes. This'll be faster"

I doubted it.
I gave him a "suit-yourself" shrug and went back to reading Eduardo Galeano's musings on Latin American politics.
Much more interesting.




And then there are nights when...well, that's best left for another blog...


All Content Copyright 2009, Juliana Tobón. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. Kinda boring on this one, not gonna lie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey, you got bored just reading it, imagine my dismay at having to be there. That's the trouble with writing auto-biographically...not every day is action packed and exciting.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, darling!