12 December 2008

New Skills

As some of you may already know, I started a new job this week. I had been desperately looking for work for months. I was beginning to think I was going to have to take my mother's advice and find a real grown-up job. I'm bi-lingual, intelligent, very capable, and possess varied and valuable job skills, but the straight 9-5 world just didn't want me. It was so frustrating to think that none of those things were enough to keep me financially afloat , yet--- were I willing to go the route--- I could lease my feminine charms by the hour and make decent money. That's just not an option for me.

So where did I finally find a bit of succor and hope? A hellishly-themed night club, a hedonist playground where excess and debauchery are exalted. One friend messaged me earlier when I commented on the irony of this. She wrote:

"Don't fight ur destiny, sweetie"

Indeed.

It is there that I've been welcomed with respect, trust, and my very own shiny new desk from IKEA.

I'm grateful to have a job, but even more so, a job where many of the various skills I have picked up along the way, are being challenged and put to good use. Finally. Those little things that I've done over the years as "favors" for friends--- booking shows, managing bands, writing press releases and bios, networking, PR--- I'll finally be getting paid for doing them.
I'm even picking up a couple of new things.

When the new boss-man asked me if I knew Photoshop I said "Suuure..."
I do most of my photo editing in LightRoom. Sure, I can go into PS and take out a blemish or do some color or contrast adjustments, but I've never designed anything with the program. Well, there's nothing like trial by fire, right? It just so happened the the next poster which needed to be done was for a friend, very dear to my heart, who is playing there on there on the 27th of this month. it seemed rather fitting and a bit of an honor, but the pressure is definitely on.

I enlisted the help of my friend Kevin as real-time tech support over the phone. He was pretty patient, though his instructions were occasionally punctuated with an exasperated "Stop clicking on stuff!"

It took me about about four hours altogether. I cringe and apologize profusely. I'm sure to offend the delicate design sensibilities of Mr. Lloyd and a few other friends of mine who are absolutely brilliant designers. Yes, lame font. I know. Yes, the kerning is probably off and I likely used every design cliché that a fledgling designer probably could. But...baby steps, right?
I'm rather proud to be learning a new skill.

So here it is, my very first poster design ever:





All Content Copyright 2008, Juliana Tobón. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. Not bad for your first go at Photoshop. It took me a while to learn the basics.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, darling!