09 November 2008

Citadel of the Spirit

Several months ago I posted a myspace bulletin or two mentioning that I was being published as part of an anthology of Oregon writers. The book, Citadel of the Spirit, is a celebration of Oregon, and arrives just in time for the state's sesquicentennial.
When I was asked to contribute a story by editor Matt Love, he reiterated that he was looking for stories that were uniquely Oregon--- that could only happen in Oregon.
That was my inspiration for a story titled "Sauvie Island Heat". I knew Sauvie Island was pretty unique, but had no idea of just how varied (and sordid) its history was, until I really started doing my research. My essay is true to form––humor, sensuality, eroticism, but with a good dose of erudition thrown in. Let's just say, that small island is no stranger to Misadventure.
I am so honored to have been included in this anthology, particularly as it's my first "officially" published piece. Citadel includes over 60 original essays by Oregon writers, past and present, as well as many excerpts from primary documents related to Oregon history. It has a little bit of everything–– sex, drugs, rock n' roll, politics, environmentalism, you name it.

Citadel of the Spirit hits bookstores next month (just in time for the holidays!). In the meantime, it can also be purchased directly from the publisher, Nestucca Spit Press. Look for the official launch at Powell's on February 13th 2009!




*I haven't and probably won't post the entire essay on my blog, so the only way to read it is to get the book. So go out, buy it!

xo,

Infamous CoatChek Girl






No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, darling!