09 September 2007

Telefonicus Interruptus and other phenomena

I recently received an email from a friend, an astrologer, who assured me my phone would begin to ring and 'settle me a new angle'.
I don't know about new angle, but definitely a renewed take on an old one. The phone did indeed start ringing, people are popping out of the woodwork, wanting to schedule photo shoots. More importantly they want to pay me for them. Old friends and new have been sending me referrals. Seeds that I have planted in the way of pro-bono work are coming to fruition. The latter has resulted in me having free 24 hour access to a shooting space for the entire month of September. I got that phone call just as I was trying to track down studio rentals for a shoot.
There seems to be momentum building, which is gratifying after all these years. In truth, I have no one to blame but myself for the slow track my photography has taken. I have almost always had a day job to fall back on and never had the impetus to really make the sort of push it takes to do this in earnest. It doesn't hurt that things seem to be aligning just right.
Everything seems to come at a price, however. This renewed surge of energy has its downside when it happens to somebody who works with energy. On the most average of days, I don't do so well with electronics. As I have learned to work with energy in a more purposeful way, I have been able to temper this particular phenomenon, but I seem to be going through a period of re-adjustment.
There was a time when I almost got fired from a call center job because I burned through three computers in less than a year. It confounded the tech people. They and other employees would have no trouble running the same three applications on my machine, and the moment I would sit down and open the same programs, the PC would freeze up or refuse to work altogether.
Recently, my computer files keep disappearing, moving, and sometimes (thankfully) reappearing. My mobile phone has taken to randomly turning itself off, usually at the most heated and inopportune moment of a conversation ("Ooh, yeah, I'm com–....aw crap! Hello?!"). The "psychic phenomena" that regularly occurs in my apartment has reached an all-time high, with books and art randomly flying off of shelves.
It has affected my blogging. It's hard to write when I sit at my fire escape locked in a battle of wills with my laptop. I often blog at night, but lately I've had to do so by the light of a single small lamp or during the day. The overhead light in my living room has developed a short, I believe. In any case, the constant flickering has been driving me crazy. I even stayed at a friend's place while my landlord supposedly fixed it, but since the flickering stopped during my absence nothing was fixed.

Things are generally falling into place so well otherwise, it seems I'll just have to accept these minor inconveniences as the trade-off. Dodging books, flickering lights, and battling with computers is really such a small price to pay.


All Content Copyright 2008, Juliana Tobón. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, darling!